This scripts creates a new room mailbox and security two groups for full mailbox access and and for send-as delegation. The security groups are created using a configurable naming convention. If required by your Active Directory team, you can add group prefixes or department abbreviations as well.
The script uses a Xml configuration file to simplify changes for variables unique for your environment.
High level steps executes by the script:
- Create a new room mailbox
- Create a new mail enabled security group for full access delegation
- Assign full access security group for full access to the room mailbox
- Create a new mail enabled security group for send-as delegation
- Assign send-as permissions to send-as security group
- Create a new mail enabled security group for allowed user to book the new room mailbox
- Set calendar processing to AutoAccept, if required
- Set resource capacity, if rewuired
The calendar booking security group feature is currently not available. But will be available in an upcoming release.
The following example creates a room mailbox for an Conference Room with empty security groups.
.\New-RoomMailbox.ps1 -RoomMailboxName "MB - Conference Room" -RoomMailboxDisplayName "Board Conference Room" -RoomMailboxAlias "MB-ConferenceRoom" -RoomMailboxSmtpAddress "ConferenceRoom@mcsmemail.de" -DepartmentPrefix "C"
You can simplify the use of the script by using a paramterized helper script named Run-NewRoomMailbox.ps1.
The following Run-NewRoomMailbox.ps1 script simplifies the process of creating a team mailbox even more.
$roomMailboxName = 'MB-Conference Room'$roomMailboxDisplayName = 'Board Conference Room'$roomMailboxAlias = 'MB-ConferenceRoom'$roomMailboxSmtpAddress = 'ConferenceRoom@mcsmemail.de'$departmentPrefix = 'C'$groupFullAccessMembers = @('JohnDoe','JaneDoe') # Empty = @()$groupSendAsMembers = @()$groupCalendarBookingMembers = @()$RoomCapacity = 0$RoomList = 'AllRoomsHQ'$Language = 'en-GB'.\New-RoomMailbox.ps1 -RoomMailboxName $roomMailboxName -RoomMailboxDisplayName $roomMailboxDisplayName -RoomMailboxAlias $roomMailboxAlias -RoomMailboxSmtpAddress $roomMailboxSmtpAddress -DepartmentPrefix $departmentPrefix -GroupFullAccessMembers $groupFullAccessMembers -GroupSendAsMembers $groupSendAsMembers -RoomCapacity $RoomCapacity -AutoAccept -RoomList $RoomList -Language $Language
- 1.0, Initial community release
- 1.1, Some PowerShell hygiene, issue #2 closed
- 1.2, CalenderBooking, Language added
- Download and follow at Github: https://github.com/Apoc70/New-RoomMailbox?
- Download and like at TechNet Gallery: https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Create-a-new-Room-Mailbox-99a4e477